Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sawadee Khaaa!

I'm not sure if this will come through but ....
Sorry for so long getting back. (I'm traveling with a bunch of Europeans and I'm starting to talk like them :). All is great. I think last time I wrote I was in Bangkok...not sure now. Since then we have been to Lempang for one night and from there to a Elephant Conservatory. The elephants were/are wonderful!!! They are the sweetest animals; so intelligent and expressive. Also visited the elephant hospital which was sad. The Thai elephant hospital is the first in the world and quite famous for the work they have done with some elephants that have been injured by land mines up towards the Burmese/Thai border. The two countries have been on/off at war for thousands of years. It's been peaceful for some time but land mines remain as remnants of war.
Tomorrow I fly to Cambodia which also has landmine problems and, apparently, there are many people there who are missing limbs. I'm forewarned that it's quite disturbing to see the number of people who have missing limbs.

After we left the elephant hospital, we drove to a hot spring which was not so interesting. From there we traveled to a small village for a home stay with a Thai family. It was extremely rustic accommodations. We all slept together in one large room on floor mats in a traditional Thai house. The only luxury was a bright pink mosquito net over our mats to save us from being eaten alive while we slept. But, we were offered some of the best food I have ever eaten in my life. YUMMMMM!!!

We started out the next day by offering food to the monks at the temple across the road. Thai monks cannot work so the people are expected to feed them. After, we were taken on a bicycle tour through the village to a temple, a mushroom farm and a small clothing factory. Lastly, we were brought to the local school to help teach for an hour or so. This was my favorite part of the day. The children are incredibly smart. They do not seem to have much resources but their culture seems much more disciplined and the children seem well advanced in their studies. They study Thai and also english as early as 5 years. There was a little girl at the homestay named Boi (boy) who already knew her letters and numbers in Thai and English.

From the home stay we drove to Chiangmai/Chiang Mai. It's a much smaller city than Bangkok and the people seem softer and more traditional here. We visited a temple atop a mountain that borders Chiang Mai. Later we all met for dinner and wandered the market.

There is a main market area but it's hard to distinguish where it starts and ends; the entire city seem like one huge market. There is everything here...really...everything. It's quite overwhelming actually. I've bought a lot of great stuff and may need to purchase a new bag to bring my items home. Everything is incredibly inexpensive. Massages are about $7 an hour, clothing $3 dollars for a lovely dress, Rubies (cheap), Sapphires (cheap), watches (really cheap) and food ($1-3 for dinner) so inexpensive and delicious I feel I should just eat all the time.

I am still with the group of 11 until tomorrow until we arrive back in Bangkok. We will take an overnight sleeper train the 17 hours back and, from there, I will fly to Cambodia. I am really enjoying traveling with a tour group. It's been really easy, as all transportation and sleeping arrangements have been arranged for. It's an eco-friendly/back-packer company which attracts folks like me who are interested in a more cultural/environmental experience of Thailand. I would highly recommend this type of travel for anyone who can handle a bit of a rustic physical experience. It's not too strenuous though. There is a 65 year old Australians who has enjoyed all our activities and still manages to wander the streets until 2 a.m. He insists he has not had any "happy endings" but I think otherwise. There are quite a few very nasty old white guys walking around with young Thai girls. I'm torn between being terrible embarrassed for them and degusted by them.

I hope you are all well. I think of you all and make sure to dedicate each mouthful of delicious spicy Thai food to each one of my loved ones.

Sawadee Khaaaaaa!
Jilala

No comments:

Post a Comment